FHS

From: Richard B. Kreckel
Subject: FHS
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:16:55 +0100 (CET)

Friends,

When upgrading some packages to AutoConf-2.52 I noticed that given
--prefix=/usr, manpages go straight into /usr/man/.  Hmm, but we got a
filesystem hierarchy standard <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>!

Instead of providing the developers the tools to violate this standard,
could you please give them the tools to adhere to it?  Otherwise, all our
packages must be "fixed" by the distro-packagers by specifying mandir,
infodir, etc explicitly.

Is this really so impossible to do?  It requires some if/then/else logic
to propagate to the final Makefiles instead of the simplistic
AC_SUBST([mandir], ['${prefix}/man']) in acgeneral.m4, because if
${prefix} is /usr, then ${mandir} should be /usr/share/man/ but if
${prefix} is /usr/local, then ${mandir} should be /usr/local/man/ and this
kind of things, or a ${docdir} switch or something equivalent...

Now four years into FHS-2.0, can we consider this a bug?  Or is FHS buggy?

Regards
     -richy.
--
Richard B. Kreckel