Re: Makefile calling configure unnessesarily

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Makefile calling configure unnessesarily
Date: 06 Mar 2002 17:18:47 -0700

>>>>> "Ulrich" == Ulrich von Zadow <address@hidden> writes:

Ulrich> $ make
Ulrich> cd . && /bin/sh /cygdrive/c/home/paintlib/config/missing --run aclocal

Mostly likely this means that configure.{in,ac} is older than
aclocal.m4.  So we re-run aclocal...

Ulrich> cd . && \
Ulrich>    /bin/sh /cygdrive/c/home/paintlib/config/missing --run automake
--gnu
Ulrich>   Makefile

After running aclocal we must re-run automake in case any new
AC_SUBSTs were added.

Ulrich> cd . && /bin/sh /cygdrive/c/home/paintlib/config/missing --run autoconf

And of course we must re-run autoconf because now aclocal.m4 is newer
than configure.

Ulrich> A second call to make doesn't result in a configure call.

Everything is up to date at that point.

Tom