Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:26:19 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Mark D. Roth" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 21:05:37 -0500
>
> Instead of a local cache, let's create a subdirectory called
> `ac-package' that includes macros that the developer wants to ship
> with the package.

But that's what the m4 subdirectory is for, with aclocal.  This is
replicating function, and it's confusing.  Why not just call it 'm4',
as before?  People using aclocal can continue to use m4/*.m4; people
using Autoconf with your new feature (and without using aclocal) can
also use m4/*.m4.

>   * autoconf will have an AC_SITE_INCLUDE macro that causes it to read
>     a specific file from the site macro directory.

I'm a bit leery of that name, since AC_INCLUDE is the more obvious
name.  But then, I don't really know why AC_INCLUDE was dropped.
Before continuing I'd prefer some advice from Akim (or whoever else
knows about AC_INCLUDE -- or maybe you can do some research on this?).