Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:50:32 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Mark D. Roth" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:56:33 -0500
>
>   * autoconf's search path should be:
>       1. the current directory (i.e., $top_srcdir)

But the current directory is not top_srcdir in all cases.
E.g. an include file in one directory might include another.
Why is it important to have the current directory in the path?

>       2. the directories specified in $AC_MACRO_PATH (if set)

That's an environment variable?  Are entries separated by ":"?
Must they be absolute path names?

> The only modifications that are needed are:
>
>   * add support for $AC_MACRO_PATH
>
>   * add configure option for setting system-wide site macro directory

What's the default?

> > Paul or Akim, can one of you tell me how to procede with this?  Should
> > I submit a patch, or would you prefer to implement these changes
> > yourselves?

I'd like to hear Akim's opinion, since he's the AC_INCLUDE guru.

My own reaction is positive, but I would suggest that you write up the
proposal, as a proposed patch to the manual.  (Often the documentation
is the hardest to write, so perhaps it'll be easier for you if you
implement it and then document it.  :-)