Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 21:03:31 +0200 (CEST)

Akim Demaille writes:

> My own idea is: the package *must* be self contained, included the src
> tree.  Which means that, contrary to aclocal which has dependencies
> outside the src tree, autoreconf --install was meant to fetch in
> /usr/local/aclocal etc. the relevant files, and to install a copy (or
> symlink if --symlink) in the M4 macro directory, and to set up
> aclocal.m4.

I'm not sure this is necessary.  No package is strictly speaking
self-contained.  If, say, my package depends on GTK, then I rely on GTK
being installed somewhere before I start building.  And therefore it could
also be reasonable to assume that the gtk.m4 file with the GTK macros can
be found before I start running autoconf.

If a maintainer decides that the trouble with the different versions of
GTK isn't worth it and copies some version of gtk.m4 into his project's
tree, then the proposed include macro could handle this case
transparently.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden