Re: aclocal question (AM_ICONV)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: aclocal question (AM_ICONV)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:37:22 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Bill Moseley <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:13:31 -0700
>
> I wanted to use the AM_ICONV macro which is in the gettext package in a
> configure.in file.

You're a brave man; not many people use that.

Why do you need AM_ICONV?  Are you using iconv directly?  Typically,
these days, people just put this into their configure.in:

AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])

and then they don't need to worry about gettext's use of iconv, since
they don't have an intl subdirectory.

> I installed gettext, and the macros m4 were installed in
> /usr/local/share/aclocal.

It's a bad idea to rely on this, since it means that only you can
configure your package.  I would put those .m4 files into an m4
subdirectory of your package, and distribute those .m4 files.
Then you can use aclocal -I m4.  Most people do it this eay.

> BTW -- are there macros available for testing libxml2 and zlib?

Not that I know of, but quite possibly there are some somewhere.