Re: Default for libexecdir

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Default for libexecdir
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:45:50 -0800

Bill Moseley <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I'm missing the point.  Are you saying that you rely on $libexec
> to be $prefix/libexec?

No, I'm saying that I rely on --libexecdir setting the *parent* directory,
not the directory used directly by your package.  My scripts set it to the
same thing is libdir because we don't maintain a separate libexec
directory.

If you have fifty support programs, and install them directly into
libexecdir, then when I build your package they all end up directly in
/usr/local/lib.  Ick.  You want to install things into a subdirectory of
libexecdir instead.

> I don't absolutely have to do change it, but we would prefer $libexec to
> default to .../lib/$(PACKAGE).  I guess it's just where I'm expecting
> things to be installed.

And what I'm saying is that you want it to default to .../lib.  Add the
$(PACKAGE) bit in your installation rules instead.

(I unfortunately don't know how to make it default to .../lib or I'd let
you know.  You may be able to just set the shell variable directly,
though, at the top of your configure script.  I'd try that first.)

> I use acconfig.h (generated by autoheader).  Can I get $libexecdir (or
> $(libexecdir)/$(PACKAGE) into acconfig.h so I can use it in my C code?
> Or should I use @libexecdir@ in something like foo_CPPFLAGS when
> building foo?  Seems like acconfig.h would be a good place to define
> that.

It's probably easier to go the CPPFLAGS route since that makes sure all
the variables get expanded for you.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>