Re: generating a configure script in a subdirectory?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: generating a configure script in a subdirectory?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:42:36 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Akim Demaille wrote:

>  > But beware, autoreconf can be dangerous and doesn't always work.
>
> Why?

In times past, it has trashed & thrashed subdirectories.  For example,
I recall (a couple of years ago) that libltdl required a particular
version of Autoconf.  Libltdl was subordinate to my package's
directory.  Executing autoreconf ended up with a zero-length configure
script in the libltdl subdirectory.

It seems that autoreconf behaves better in current releases, but as we
know, older autoconf's are difficult to get rid of so it is likely
that troubled autoreconf's are still in active use.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden