RE: Advice for building threading & socket support

From: Steve Huston
Subject: RE: Advice for building threading & socket support
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:04:14 -0400

If you are going far beyond Linux and Solaris with threads and
sockets, I recommend you consider the use of ACE -- that is, if you're
using C++.

You can download a copy of the source from our web site - even if you
don't use it, there are some sections of the configure support that do
what you're looking for. Look in the configure.ac file and everything
in the ACE_wrappers/m4 directory.

Best regards,

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Co-author of "C++ Network Programming" and "The ACE Programmer's

GNU
> build environment.  I am trying to get the package to build on as
many
> OS's as possible.  It is being developed on Linux and now I
> am trying to
> get it to build on Solaris.  I would like to have it work with the
> Cygnus environment as well if possible.
>
> I have run into a problem that I can solve, but I don't know
> how to get
> the GNU environment to help me solve it for both Linux and
> Solaris, but
> it seems like autoconf, configure, and automake ought to be able to
> offer something.  I use threads and sockets in the code.  On
> Linux, that
> just compiles and works.  Matter of fact, it requires that
> there NOT be
> a -lsocket switch.  On Solaris, it needs the -lsocket to link.
>
> Similarly, WAIT_ANY is a defined constant on Linux, but not on
Solaris
> for waitpid; gettext is not present on Solaris, but is on Linux;
> semaphore do not require the -lrt on Linux linker command, but
Solaris