Re: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and autoreconf

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and autoreconf
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:46:02 -0700

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 05:50:13PM -0700, Charles 'Buck' Krasic wrote:

> For me though, autoreconf has a problem with the ffmpeg directory.  It
> complains that it can not find a configure.in or configure.ac file
> there.

It sure does.  I think that's a bug.  I will try to fix it and add a test case,
but that does not help you in the short term.

> Is there a workaround for this?   In noticed the comments about
> configure.nongnu in the documentation, but this doesn't seem to make a
> difference.

I cannot think of any good workarounds.

If you can give up things like --help=recursive, you could just call the inner
``configure'' outright and stop using AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.  That does affect your
users, though.  Keeping the bootstrap script until released versions of Autoconf
have corrected this behavior only affects maintainers, so you may prefer it.