Re: Need help with autoconf configure script

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: Need help with autoconf configure script
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:16:35 -0400

Hi all,

Sorry to reply to my own Email, but I have more info, and with this I'm
hopeing someone could solve the last piece of the puzzle.

To recap, look at the if/else below(in original Email). When I go into the
top part of the if statement, VL_LIB_READLINE isn't ever called. However,
my configure script is still corrupted even though VL_LIB_READLINE isn't
executed. If I take out the VL_LIB_READLINE everything works fine.

I've commented lines out of the VL_LIB_READLINE macro and found the lines
that are breaking the configure script for me.
  if test "$vl_cv_lib_readline" != "no"; then
    AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBREADLINE, 1,
              [Define if you have a readline compatible library])
dnl    AC_CHECK_HEADERS(readline.h readline/readline.h)
    AC_CACHE_CHECK([whether readline supports history],
                   vl_cv_lib_readline_history, [
      vl_cv_lib_readline_history="no"
      AC_TRY_LINK_FUNC(add_history, vl_cv_lib_readline_history="yes")
    ])
    if test "$vl_cv_lib_readline_history" = "yes"; then
      AC_DEFINE(HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY, 1,
                [Define if your readline library has \`add_history'])
dnl      AC_CHECK_HEADERS(history.h readline/history.h)
    fi
  fi

The 2 lines commentted out above (AC_CHECK_HEADERS) are causing
VL_LIB_READLINE to break the configure script, even though those lines
are never executed. Does anyone understand how this could happen?
I am at a loss and really need some help.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi