Re: Failure to use -lnsl on Solaris with AC_CHECK_LIB

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Failure to use -lnsl on Solaris with AC_CHECK_LIB
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:07:58 -0700

Warren Young <address@hidden> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Well, Autoconf has never handled this automatically for anyone else.  :)

> I don't do any specific checks for libnsl currently, yet it gets linked
> automatically when build the program on Linux, at least.

Linux does shared library dependencies properly, so libraries can declare
dependencies on other shared libraries themselves if linked properly.
Unfortunately, not all platforms are as kind.

Also, Linux applications usually don't actually need libnsl.  It's pretty
much just a NIS thing on Linux, unlike on Solaris where you need it to do
any basic DNS lookup.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>