Re: static library as fallback

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: static library as fallback
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:06:00 -0600

On 06/14/2011 03:02 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>>> Hmmm.  It was my fault. I didn't explain myself well. I meant:  I'd
>>> want to *use* existing static resolv on the system as a fallback (if
>>> shared lib lacks of ns_initparse), Can I do it with AC_SEARCH_LIBS?
>> My answer is unchanged - you can use the action-if-not-found portion of
>> AC_SEARCH_LIBS to do whatever else you want to do when ns_initparse is
>> not found, including setting up AC_DEFINE or other modifications that
>> will let your code use the static resolv as the fallback.
> I thought that there was a way to do it appending static library to

Oh, I think I see what you are asking:

If ns_initparse() is missing from a dynamic library, how to
you make the AC_SEARCH_LIBS try again for a static resolv.a library?

But what would that buy you?  Any platform where resolv.a and
both exist, but don't have the same entry points, is already a serious
coding nightmare.

If I understand what you are asking, then I don't know of any way to
force dynamic or force static library link tests, if you suspect that
the two types of libraries both exist but differ in contents.

Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library