Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Paul Wise
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 09:32:11 +0800

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 18:40 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Well, as far as I am concerned, we should axe from the [next] Debian stable
> distro anything that doesn't retool completely before the build, IMO just
> updating config.sub/guess is not nearly enough.

I think thats going a bit far, especially since there is widely varying
opinion within Debian about if retooling is a good idea or not. I think
retooling is important for various reasons but not important enough to
lose the software from maintainers who disagree.

> That said, Debian rules for packages *really* won't help a large class of
> people: those who are not doing Debian package work...

Good point!

> And BTW, I am perfectly fine with issuing debian-stable updates to
> autotools-dev (the Debian package that contains the /usr/share/misc/
> config.{sub,guess}), but someone has to convince the release managers that
> this is acceptable.  We _really_ should do this, since people do develop
> software using Debian...

I think they would be open to this. Please file a bug so we can get this
into the next point release:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable

--
bye,