Re: AC_*/AM_* macros for options

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: AC_*/AM_* macros for options
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:15:42 -0400 (EDT)

Eric Blake <address@hidden> countered:
> Lack of someone writing the patches.  Are you volunteering?

Hmm.  Would such patches have a fair chance of being accepted?

A key question would be, how would the interface work?

I presume such patches would modify the compiler detection macros
so that they'd also determine "default" warning, relocatability,
and hardening levels, and then provide additional macros
that let people change those levels while using a portable interface.

Then "AC_PROG_CC" would detect warning levels, set some default,
and then configure.ac could do:
AC_PROG_CC_WARNINGS([low])  # off, low, medium, high; default medium
and in gcc "medium" might map to "-Wall".

Does that sound reasonable?

--- David A. Wheeler