Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 20:16:26 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, David A. Wheeler wrote:

This is a slightly tricky problem; comments welcome.  It'd be nice to see
a simple and relatively clean solution to the problem.  I think "use
double-quotes when
pathnames contain spaces" is a plausible answer.

The POSIX-style shell tosses the double quotes at first point of use. Arguments must be escaped varying amounts of times to survive a given data path, and the data path may not be a fixed one.

I agree that Windows is even more difficult, particlarly when there is a POSIX to Windows translation layer.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn