Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:38:20 -0800

David A. Wheeler wrote:
The idea would be that generated Makefiles (for example) could look like this:
SBCL =/cygdrive/c/"Program Files/Steel Bank Common Lisp/1.2.6/sbcl"
EGREP = /usr/bin/grep -E

That wouldn't work for commands that do stuff like this:

   $(MAKE) SBCL="$(SBCL)"

which is a common idiom.

There is no simple and clean solution to this problem, I'm afraid. The best place to start fixing it would be with GNU Make, and work is proceeding in this area but as far as I know it's not ready for prime time yet. In the meantime, people will just have to live with not having white space in their development sources' directory names.