Re: cl.exe and system types

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: cl.exe and system types
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:52:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

Bob Friesenhahn (2018/08/20 10:44 -0500):
I don't know that MSVC is supported by Autotools.  It would be nice if it
was.  Have you seen a statement that this is supported?

Well, here is what AC_PROG_CC outputs when running
$ ./configure CC=cl
checking for i686-pc-windows-gcc... cl
checking for C compiler default output file name... conftest.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking for suffix of object files... obj
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
checking whether cl accepts -g... yes
checking for cl option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cl -E

From that, I inferred that cl is supported. Am I wrong here?

I don't know. The pace of Visual Studio development is much faster than Autotools development in recent years. It is possible that MSVC has done something to make things easier.

Are you using Cygwin for your shell environment?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn