RE: Automake shooting in its foot

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: RE: Automake shooting in its foot
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:42:39 +0100

> Morten> Emacs Lisp comes to mind..  ;-)
>
> Not exactly: AFAIK, you can't freely hook whatever function: you hook
> on existing hooks.  Right?
Yes the 'hook' concept in Emacs Lisp requires a function to explicitly
run those hooks, i.e. hooks are only available if the person writing
a routine makes them available.
However, Emacs Lisp also has 'defadvice' which allows you to attach
arbitrary code to an existing function in different ways. I must admit
that whole advice thing strikes me as a little insane; it's probably
quite powerful though.