Re: Integration of git-based release workflow into "make dist"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Integration of git-based release workflow into "make dist"
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:43:23 +0200

* Roger Leigh wrote on Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:13:21PM CEST:
> Additionally, VCSes don't typically store the results of "make dist",
> only the source for that.  Due to changing tool versions over the
> years, you can get in a situation where you can no longer rebootstrap
> checkouts of old versions.  By storing this in the VCS as well, you
> guarantee that you can get a usable tree even if those tools are no
> longer available or functional.  Plus, you can also diff the
> generated files between releases as an added bonus, which can help
> track down build infrastructure issues.

I think your solution is pretty cool, and goes to show again how nice it
is that git is so versatile.  I might consider using it for future
Automake releases.

But as to inclusion in Automake proper, I'm still slightly on the side
of "this is git-centric and probably a bit Debian-centric" in the sense
that other distros or other developers might want to choose to do it a
bit differently, and I'd rather have Automake offer generic solutions.
Are you coordinating with other distros?  Some feedback from others
would certainly not hurt here.

Thanks,