Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU m

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:58:59 +0100

On 11/24/2011 04:51 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
     I agree the reason becomes less compelling as more capable systems
     become more commonplace, but I do not agree ancient RISC boxes are no
     longer an interesting target for current NTP builds.

The machine I use (and many of us, too) has a MIPS-like chip, the
Loongson.

I don't think portability has anything to do with age or family of the processor, but more with the operating system. Ancient RISC boxes were running only very small parts of the GNU userspace. Instead, modern ARM/MIPS/SPARC/PowerPC machines are often GNU/Linux or Busybox/Linux (and if the latter, they are cross-compiled with a GNU toolchain).

Paolo