[avr-chat] Re: avrdude: ATtiny45 unresponsive after writing to flash

From: Dean Hall
Subject: [avr-chat] Re: avrdude: ATtiny45 unresponsive after writing to flash
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:56:34 -0600

Daniele,

My development system is a PowerBook G4 (PPC)/ OS X 10.4.11 and I see the same thing you do sometimes. I have seen it on AVR8L, 16L and 103L devices. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but here are the things I've noticed:

1) The size of the program is not important. If I get a build that hangs, I usually add more code (sometimes just a couple bytes difference in the .hex file) and it builds and programs just fine.

2) It is repeatable: If I get a build that hangs, add more code and it works, then remove the code it will hang again. From this, I believe that the trouble has nothing to do with the state of the AVR and more to do with the contents of the .hex file.

3) Unplugging the USB cable when it hangs and it will exit back to a prompt.

I figured the trouble was just a bug in avrdude that occurs on Macs and so isn't reported and can't be recreated by the typical avrdude developer (which I assume to be PC-wielding froods).

!!Dean