[avr-chat] measuring stack/heap usage

From: Daniel Otte
Subject: [avr-chat] measuring stack/heap usage
Date: 14 Mar 2010 23:29:46 +0100

Hi all,
I'm looking for a way to measure the stack usage of my cryptographic functions.
Currently I'm considering filling the free stack space with some pattern and
checking later who much of the pattern is destroyed (may doing this multiple
times with different pattern).
To implement this it would be useful to know where the stack ends.
As I'm using avrlibc the stack can go as far as the heap allows it.
So in turn the question appears "how far does the heap go?"

Additionaly it would be useful to determine the stack useage, but this seems
quite more complicated as the heap can get fragmented, so may be I have to
implement some accounting functions for the heap allocator, but as this is not
necessary currently I would be quite glad if someone tells me how to determine
the current top of the heap.

Best regards,
  Daniel Otte