[avr-chat] Embedded avrdude for App Store application

From: Robert Carl Rice
Subject: [avr-chat] Embedded avrdude for App Store application
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:29:26 -0400

Hi,

I have an application that embeds avrdude in the application package in order to initialize and automatically update the firmware in connected Digilent "chipkit" Uno32 µP boards. I copied the application and the configuration file from the MPIDE application package. Works great!

But now I am trying to get my application accepted to the App Store and I received the following email from Apple:

Dear developer,

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "RiceCNC". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:

Unsupported Architecture

 - Application executables may support either or both of the Intel architectures:
  • i386 (32-bit)
  • x86_64 (64-bit)
Other architectures may not be included in submitted binaries. Confirm that your Xcode project's build settings include those architectures and no others.

Specifically, we found the following unsupported architectures in your binary:

  • ppc (in RiceCNC.app/Contents/Resources/avrdude)

App sandbox not enabled

 - The following executables must include the "com.apple.security.app-sandbox" entitlement with a Boolean value of true in the entitlements property list. Refer to the App Sandbox page for more information on sandboxing your app.
  • RiceCNC.app/Contents/Resources/avrdude

Once these issues have been corrected, go to the Version Details page and click "Ready to Upload Binary." Continue through the submission process until the app status is "Waiting for Upload." You can then deliver the corrected binary.

Regards,

The App Store team

I probably should go through the avrdude source code to use only the code that my app needs rather than call on a stand-alone Unix executable, but in the interim, it would be useful to have an avrdude project compatible with the App Store, i.e., without ppc code and with sandboxing enabled. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bob Rice