Re: [avr-chat] Embedded avrdude for App Store application

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Embedded avrdude for App Store application
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:41:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Robert Carl Rice <address@hidden> wrote:

> I probably should go through the avrdude source code to use only the
> = code that my app needs rather than call on a stand-alone Unix =
> executable, but in the interim, it would be useful to have an
> avrdude = project compatible with the App Store, i.e., without ppc
> code and with = sandboxing enabled. Any advice would be helpful.

AVRDUDE doesn't know anything about Apple's PPC architecture. ;-)

I'm afraid all this relates to some XCode setup rather than anything
with AVRDUDE itself.  All the AVRDUDE build process does is to call
"make", and in turn the compiler, to generate the binary.  It's up to
the compiler to do what you want.

I guess you might get more hints by asking in some MacOS forum or
mailinglist where developers using XCode are around.  They don't need
to know anything about AVRDUDE itself, all you have to tell them is
that the project Makefile framework is generated by autconf/automake.

> I probably should go through the avrdude source code to use only the
> code = that my app needs rather than call on a stand-alone Unix
> executable

We have some work underway to fully separate all the AVRDUDE backend
functionality into a shared library, with "main.c" (and "term.c")
being just one frontend.  This might be a future option for you to
include AVRDUDE's functionality directly into your application,
without calling an external binary.  However, that work is not yet
fully done by now.