Re: AW: [avr-gcc-list] mega128 series 0220 buggy

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: AW: [avr-gcc-list] mega128 series 0220 buggy
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:17:14 +0200

On 02/09/23 at 08:49 Schilling, Juergen (GE51) wrote:

>Hi Uwe, hi Anton,
>
>>     Anton> When I started using the ATMega128, I had difficulty
>in
>>     Anton> programming, and ended up writing some JTAG
>programming
>>     Anton> software. This has been 100% reliable and very
>> much faster than
>>     Anton> SPI programming. There has been not even been a
>> hint of a problem
>>     Anton> with programming the ATMega128. With testing of my
>JTAG
>>     Anton> programming software, I must have re-programmed the
>same
>>     Anton> ATMega128 100s of times without any problems.
>>
>> Is your software available?
>>
>> I would like to program ATMega with my self built parallel
>> port jtag cable.
>I am also interested in your soft- and hardware. Can you provide
>some further information here?
>
>Anton, please be sure that you have the right timing in your
>software for the programming, because some fast JTAG programmer
>does not program the FLASH memory the right way and the device will
>lose FLASH information within a few months or years. Only the
>original Atmel algorithm will provide a good programmed FLASH.
>
>Regards,
>Juergen

Hi,

The ATMega128 handles the actual programming timing. The data is downloaded
and then a status bit is polled until the ATMega128 indicates the data has been
programmed.

The current version of my JTAG software supports the Altera Byteblaster
interface. (Circuit Diagram available
on http://www.altera.com) It is quite easy to change it to support any of the
"standard" programming dongles.

I do not want to post binaries to this list, so if someone has some spare web
space available to host the code,
I would appreciate it. I have emailed the code to a number of  people so far,
but I sometimes take a while to do so.

The code compiles under gcc (mingw version) and I run it in a DOS box under
win98. It accesses the LPT port directly,
hence minor changes will be needed to get it to run under Linux as root. To get
it to run under Win2K and XP, it would have to
be updated to use one of the available parallel port driver packages. I have
had a look at this, but all of these seem to assume
the use of the Visual C compiler package. If someone can provide me some
example code that compiles using the mingw gcc
package, then I can add W2K and XP support.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Regards
   Anton Erasmus