[avr-gcc-list] Stable & development releases, couple of other things

From: J.C. Wren
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Stable & development releases, couple of other things
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:58:15 -0400

        I'm back to trying to build both a stable and a development GCC AVR
package.  My question is this:  What are the cvs pull options for pulling a
version that would be considered stable (binutils, gcc, and avr-libc)?
These are typically denoted by a -rxxx option, where xxx might binutils-2_13
binutils (yielding "cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/src
co -rbinutils-2_13 binutils").

        I believe I have the parameters correct for pulling the latest
development
version.

        It would be nice if the avr1.org page had a good link to Savannah.  I'm
sure it's all pretty intuitive when you've been working with it for a while,
but I tend to hop back and forth between projects, and sometimes forget
where websites are.  Now sure, I could bookmark them all (and I do), but the
new person coming along who subscribes to the list has to be having a bitch
of a time figuring out where the current docs and etc are.  And seeing as
www.avr1.org is listed at the bottom of each and every mail message, that's
a good logical place for someone to start.  I also remember seeing a message
from Ted that he's started a new website, but damned if I remember what it
is.  So please Please PLEASE put some links on avr1.org.  (As a side note,
seeing how out of date a couple of the pages are, perhaps they should just
be deleted.  One of the WORST problems Linux suffers from is people and
search engines mirroring 8 year old out of date information.)

        Lastly, two related items.  What's the appropriate method for
submitting a
patch?  I notice that eeprom_block_read exists, but eeprom_block-write does
not.  This is easy to write, but just this moment, it'd be easier to beg a
maintainer to add it (since it's basically cut'n'paste), since I don't have
the procedure for submitting a patch to the maintainers.  Straight diff?
patch format?  Any particular parameters?

        --John