Re: [avr-gcc-list] Instruction count

From: Anubhav
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Instruction count
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:30:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
       Thanks to folks on the mailing list, I was able
to disassemble the program.

I had compiled the program for two platforms x86 using
gcc and atmega128 using avrgcc.
Had expected the atmega128 to have the larger binary
since its a 8 bit CPU and therefore should take more
than four times as many instructions as on the 32 bit
intel cpu but the avr executables are approximately 3
times smaller than intel (infact the intel compiled
version is dynamically linked as well which should
further reduce the size.) Can somebody tell me what i
am missing here ?

The specs of the two executables are as follows

ELF 32-bit LSB executable, version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, not stripped (for the Atmega128)
and
ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not
stripped (for x86)

Thanks,
Anubhav