Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR, does it need cygwin?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR, does it need cygwin?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:37:31 -0600

On 17 Apr 2003 at 13:51, Mike Panetta wrote:

> Please excuse the odd post, as I am not sure if this is the best place
> to ask, but its a simple question so hopefully its not too annoying
> ;).
>
> I am in the process of putting together a CD of tools and docs for the
> AVR mainly for myself, but some other people in the robotics club I go
> to may also be interested, so for completeness I am including the
> Windows versions of the tools (I am a Linux guy myself). I am not sure
> if I should include Cygwin on the CD or not.  So far I have a Linux
> dir with the pre built snapshot RPMS and SRPMS from the net, and a
> Sources dir with the sources, but I am not sure what needs to go in
> the Windows dir.  So far I have Srecord and WinAVR install files, and
> thats it.  So to sum it all up, does WinAVR need Cygwin to be
> installed or not?  I did attempt to find docs, but there was no
> clearly marked readme or install.txt type file anywhere on the winavr
> site, and I can't unpack/run the install executable to see if it has
> any docs built in, so I am kinda in a bind there...
>

> Thanks,
> Mike

Sander's response is correct. Just add the WinAVR binary installation
executable, it includes everything you need. However, note that I'm
trying to get a new release out this week, mainly to address some GCC
bugs and it looks like there will be a new avrdude release with it as
well. Also, the March release of WinAVR already includes the latest
SRecord utilities, version 1.14. WinAVR does not need Cygwin
installed. The required Cygwin DLLs that are needed for certain
programs are already contained in the installation.

Which robotics club?

Eric