Re: Re[2]: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for Win32 s

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for Win32 systems
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:01:17 GMT

> Hi Eric,
>
> Don't talk to me about time, I have exams coming up
myself RSN. :-o

Yikes!

> I understand that some projects are constantly changing,
but not being
> able  to  put  out  a  release  for WinAVR is usually a
sign that this
> project  has  no  stable/unstable branches. In that case
you are stuck
> between  "less  bugs"  and  "more  features and probably
more bugs and
> brokeness" for users.

Yeah, trying to manage when to put out a package release
that contains other projects can be "interesting". I pretty
much have to draw a line in the sand and say "now". But
there has been some major releases due "any time now" that
I've been waiting on. Specifically GCC (3.3 and then 3.3.1)
and GDB 6.0, and the AVR COFF patch for binutils. In the
meanwhile, avr-libc decided to cut a 1.0 that will be out
soon as well. All of these are Major Portions of the
toolchain that are Good To Have.

> In  my  case I saw erratic code behaviour in my project
and decided to
> give gcc 3.3.1 a chance. And no more crashes after
tonight...

> > If you're interested (and have the time) I would be
glad of some help.

> Duh people have been trying hard to bog down the FreeBSD
apache here.

> > Specifically:
> > 1. What are the info_fix (binutils, gcc) and
combine_fix patches? Can
y> ou
> > send them to me as well? If these fix particular GCC
bugs, which bugs?
> > 2. Are you building GCC any differently? (Patches, etc.)
>
> I  have  put  all  the patches used into the web
directory. I've built
> toolchains for NEC's V850E processor at work and saw some
of the usual
> "-O2"  stuff  while  compiling AVR's libgcc2.a, I'll
rerun the compile
> and look for stuff that could use a little bit of
tweaking.

> > FYI, in the next WinAVR release, I will have to use
binutils 2.13.2.1
> > because of the AVR COFF patch written by Jörg Wunsch.
Will the
info_f> ix
> > patch apply to this version?
>
> This  is  just  documentation stuff, easy to adapt I
would say. Better
> yet,  help  Jörg put the patches into 2.14.

It's on his list to move AVR COFF to 2.14 and to get it
rolled in to binutils proper.

>(assuming you are a QUERTY
> user, how you got the ö umlaut into that email anyway. ;)

(On Windows, hold down the Alt key while typing in the
ASCII code of the character, release Alt key. In this case,
Alt-148: ö. Same thing with typing: Gruß, Alt-225 for the
last character there.)

> The  avr_coff  stuff  is  NOT integrated into last
night's package, so
> that  will need some work. I'll look into it, that was
some unintended
> feature degradation.

I'm looking at weeks, not months, for the next WinAVR
release.

Eric