Re: [avr-gcc-list] Future of WINAVR

From: Peter Bozzay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Future of WINAVR
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:41:16 +0100

Hi,

[1. all in one package]
> 1. The cdk4avr looks like what you are searching for:
> http://cdk4avr.sourceforge.net/
> Prebuilt binaries in rpm packages. Easy to install, everything in one place.

Well, as I see, cdk4avr collects many-many rpms in one place. But are
you sure, it's the best way to get the most up to date and most stable
dev. system? Project maintener writes this:
"The most packages are untested. Some few packages will be unstable or
developer snapshot code. So I'm looking for (beta) test users. Please
tell me your experience with CDK4AVR. Further I try to be up to date
with all the package versions, but CDK4AVR is a leisure-time project
and so I think my update cycle will be 5 or 7 months, sorry :-(

The base package cdk-avr-base will work only at Red Hat based
distributions (Red Hat, Mandrake, and I believe SuSe). For other
distributions you have to ensure the linked scripts cdk4avr.sh and
cdk4avr.csh in /etc/profile.d are involved in your user environment
build process at login time."

[2. script to do the job]
> 2. Why do you need this? IMHO to write a script like this is waste of time.
> You don't have to be a wizard to build a toolchain manually, just a few
> steps. The internet is full with information, but if I can help you, drop me
> an email (in Hungarian :-))
There are Hungarians everywhere, great!:-)
Yes, I built myself a mostly functioning toolchain on UHU linux (it's
a hungarian distribution), too. But I gave up finish it at about the
20th needed extra dependent package. And just another thing would be
the update later.
The Net is really full of info. But I, and many others don't have
weeks to filter out the needed 5 rows from books of info, collected
from many places of the Net. I think, many of us prefer e.g. WinAVR
for this.

Thank you, if you can help me, I will send an email to you tomorrow.
Perhaps I can talk about it much understandable in Hungarian.:-)

Peter

Ezt a levelet az F-Secure Anti-Virus for Internet Mail ellenőrizte.
Miskolci Egyetem Számítóközpont