Re: [avr-gcc-list] Resetting the chip from software to hook the bootload

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Resetting the chip from software to hook the bootloader
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:56:12 -0600

On Thursday 01 April 2004 05:11 pm, Mike van Meeteren wrote:
> I'm trying to force the chip to reset from a main program so as to force
> the chip to run the bootloader.  I figured with the bootloader fuse blown,
> that a watchdog timeout would jump to either 0 or the bootloader depending
> on the fuse, but apparently it just jumps to zero without regard for the
> fuse.

All the bootloaders I have begin with the same startup code, which is 12 bytes
(6 instructions).  So, I have a function that looks for this signature at the
4 possible places the bootloader could be in memory and returns the address,
or 0 if it can't find a bootloader.  The main application can then either
complain that the bootloader isn't properly installed, or go off and vector
to it.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
Software Engineer