Re: [avr-gcc-list] atmega64

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] atmega64
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:14:46 -0400

Slightly off topic here, but it seems to me that this kind of problem is
best addressed using an In-Circuit Emulator.  Both the ATmega16 and ATmega64
have JTAG interfaces.  So, you could have WinAVR spit out extended COFF,
load it in to AVR Studio (free download) and step through the execution path
to see exactly what code you've got and where it's going.  Personally, I
don't think I'd be happy working without ICE capability.

So, maybe the problem is that the Atmel JTAG-ICE is too expensive (unless
you get a free one at the seminars).  I know that Olimex make a
reasonably-priced clone, but I have also designed a clone which I would like
to offer for sale in the $40 to $50 range.  It is target-powered, like the
Olimex, but it is so small that it perches on the JTAG header and takes up
no bench space.  Does anyone want to comment on this?  Am I wrong to think
that people would use ICE if it was affordable?  Should I not mention stuff
I'd like to sell on this list?

Graham.