[avr-gcc-list] Testers needed

From: Richard Urwin
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Testers needed
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 02:00:40 +0100

I have just released version 1.0.4 of Micro Autocode and I could do with
any feedback you people could give me. I've written one full-sized
project using it, but there's a limit to what one man can do.

http://microautocode.sourceforge.net

Currently it compiles code for the AVR1200, and is designed to work
under the radar of gcc, on those controllers C is unsuitable for.

Do you find it interesting or crazy? Is it something you would consider
using, or wouldn't you use it even if everyone else was? Please let me
know.

Here's the news blurb I've just posted to Sourceforge:

Micro Autocode is a high-level language designed for use on very small
microcontrollers yet with a pedigree reaching back fifty years to the
very first computer, making it ten years older than FORTRAN. Why not
write your next project in the same language your grandfather used?

The limitations of very small microcontrollers: small or non-existent
RAM and very limited hardware stack, makes them unsuitable for running
code produced with all current high-level languages. Micro Autocode
takes it's predecessor, Mercury Autocode, and brings it right
up-to-date with block structuring, multi-character variables and
labels, and variable types tailored for the target microcontroller.

With release 1.0.4, Micro Autocode is ready to use on the most complex
AVR1200 projects. Why not let it free you from assembler just like it
freed your grandfather from machine-code? And you don't have to use
paper tape, I promise.

Mercury Autocode:
http://www3.oup.co.uk/computer_journal/hdb/Volume_01/Issue_01/010015.sgm.abs.html

Micro Autocode: http://microautocode.sourceforge.net/