Re: [avr-gcc-list] OT Generic C question

From: Wolfgang Wegner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] OT Generic C question
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:15:16 +0100

On 20 Sep 2005 at 9:59, Mike Murphree wrote:

> Alexandru Csete said:
[...]
> > int i = 3;
> > i = i++;
> >
> > gave the values 3, 4 and 7 - each of them equally correct ;-)
>

> If writing software for a safety critical system which I occasionally do,
> I expect my compiler not to do "Bad Things"(TM) and it certainly violates
> POLA as well.  Whether or not it is undefined behavior in the C standard
> makes little difference to me...

What do you want to say with this?
This is the bad code, the behaviour in this case is simply not
defined, and if somebody writes such code in a safety critical
system, he/she is definitely in the wrong place.

Of course, one compiler should (and probably will) give the same
result if compiled several times, but do not expect such crappy code
to be portable.

> Mike

Wolfgang