Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-libc-1_2-branch from cvs

From: John Altstadt
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-libc-1_2-branch from cvs
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:55:48 -0800

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As John Altstadt wrote:

This is the exact problem I reported a few months ago at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=13416

Yep, these auto tools are not very consistent.  While they introduced
major backwards compatibility headaches to anyone using them, they
simply don't manage it to pass the names they have been called with
down into the generated scripts, so e.g.  if you ran automake13, it
will later try to call either automake or automake-1.3 (which both
don't exist on my systems).

I do have to say that in >20 years of designing large and small embedded systems, I have never once felt the urge to use any autotools. :-)

The workaround given in the bug report is to temporarily rename the
various autoconf files in /usr/bin. E.g.
# mv autoconf autoconf.original
# mv autoconf-2.13 autoconf

That's why I cannot see that on my FreeBSD machines.  The port
maintainers of the auto tools have chosen to never install any of
these tools by their generic names anymore.

I was thinking that this particular problem is Gentoo specific. Normally they do a great job of keeping multiple versions of packages installed on the system. It looks like this package didn't quite work out though.

On Gentoo, /usr/bin/autoconf is a soft link to a bash script which tries to figure out which version of autoconf to actually execute. It would appear to be optimized for use within ebuilds (similar idea to ports).

John