Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-libc-1_2-branch from cvs

From: John Altstadt
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiling avr-libc-1_2-branch from cvs
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:21:34 -0800

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
John Altstadt <address@hidden> wrote:

Yep, these auto tools are not very consistent.  [...]

I do have to say that in >20 years of designing large and small
embedded systems, I have never once felt the urge to use any
autotools. :-)

Sure, for just your own tool, you don't need that.  But if you want
something that can be compiled on different OSes, where you can check
for the prerequisite software, and want to offer the users some
choices including that of the final installation location (configure
--prefix), *something* like these tools is really handy.

As I said, embedded systems. When you use 2MLOC to run multiple non-heterogeneous processors on a single board (the daughter board had up to another 448 DSP cores on it, but their binary was supplied by a third party developer), you don't much care about different OSs.

You also don't load something like that on an AVR.

John