Re: [avr-gcc-list] AT90CAN128 support

From: Henrik Maier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AT90CAN128 support
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:07:39 +1000

Ned Konz wrote:

What is needed for AVR-GCC to support the AT90CAN128 () that isn't already provided by the Atmega128 support?

The AT90CAN128 has a completely different register structure and location and for that reason is not binary compatible with the ATmega128. This affects mainly the avr-libc library and your application code rather than the compiler, as the instruction set is identical.

Refer to Atmel's APP note AVR096 which explains the differences:

That is, why not just use

for the AT90CAN128?

Won't work and you can even kill your MCU by doing this. You are very likely to initialise the peripherals wrong.

That's what I was planning on doing; is there some reason why that wouldn't work? Did I miss an important detail somewhere (uh oh... gotta read the datasheet)?

Always a good idea to study the reference material first.

You might need to supplement avr-libc by adding some register/bit definitions for added CAN hardware or maybe slightly different linker scripts, but this can be done by the user and has no impact on AVR-GCC.

This already has been done a fair while ago and since avr-libc 1.2.5 the AT90CAN128 is properly supported including EEPROM.