RE: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with delay loop

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with delay loop
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:48:23 -0600

There is one other case for a volatile variable, and that is the case of
hardware modifying the variable, which can easily happen in registers. This
is another case of "something outside the program" modifying the variable.

I agree with the statement above that "'volatile' is precisely to warn the
compiler that it should not 'reason' anything about [the] variable".
However, David brings up a good point. A local variable is put on the stack,
generally not the place for hardware to modify the variable. And generally,
other parts of the program (such as ISRs) don't have access to the specific
location of the variable on the stack. Both hardware and ISRs work with
global variables. So *could* a compiler reason that local variables could
never be volatile? Or are there truly situations where hardware or ISRs
could modify local variables on the stack?

Its an interesting question. I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps a
language lawyer on comp.lang.c could explain the reasoning behind the
current standard.

Eric Weddington