Re: [avr-gcc-list] patch posted

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] patch posted
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:31:03 +0000

Hi, Andrew,

Andrew Hutchinson wrote:
I posted patch to cure spill bugs. It passed all testing.

I tested the patch too, and it seems to fix a few failures. Nice work.

before your patch (complete gcc.c-torture):

# of expected passes            21244
# of unexpected failures        162
# of unresolved testcases       52
# of unsupported tests          85
/home/pmarques/Desktop/gcc-4.2.2/svn/obj/gcc/xgcc version 4.3.0 20080129 (experimental) (GCC)

after your patch (complete gcc.c-torture):

# of expected passes            21247
# of unexpected failures        152
# of unresolved testcases       53
# of unsupported tests          86
/home/pmarques/Desktop/gcc-4.2.2/svn/obj/gcc/xgcc version 4.3.0 20080129 (experimental) (GCC)

I had to apply the patch manually, though, as I couldn't get the patch out of the mailing list archive without corruption :(

That extra unresolved and extra unsupported test case is probably a ".text segment full" error. If this is the case, then probably the generated code is slightly larger for at least one test case. I still have to dig some more to find out exactly what happened.

I would be interested in seeing how this affects size,speed of avr-gcc.

Me too. I was wondering what would be the best way to use the testsuite and avrtest to get a quantitative estimate of code size / execution time variations.

I thought that the first rough estimate would be to make avrtest accumulate all the bytes loaded and cycles executed during a testsuite run. Then I could apply a patch and redo the tests and see how that affected the values.

But this doesn't really work, because:

- if a test fails in one run and not on the other, it can exit early and execute in less cycles. Not using failed tests for the statistics has similar problems.

- we probably want code size with -Os and execution speed with -O2 / -O3 and not both mixed.

I know that the testsuite probably isn't the best speed / code size / RAM used benchmark available, but since I'll be running it on a regular basis and I'll be using it to bisect regressions, I could get these results basically for free...

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"There cannot be a crisis today; my schedule is already full."