[avr-gcc-list] Re: Sharing code between a bootloader and an application.

From: Spiro Trikaliotis
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Sharing code between a bootloader and an application.
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 19:44:37 +0100

Hello,

Dave Hylands wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:10 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

>> How would one go about producing a header or library file that would let you
>> link references to the routines in the bootloader for use in the
>> application?
>
> I did this with an i2c bootloader I wrote. What I did was to store a
> header, with a magic number, and the address of a jump table. The jump
> table contained word addresses of the various functions I wanted
> within the bootloader.

I have implemented this approach (at least in a similar way) with the
"xu1541" project (using an ATMega8).  Here, I have a bootloader part
using USBtiny or AVRUSB, and the "real" firmware (using the soft-USB
implementation in the bootloader).

There is also a specific firmware available which can update the
bootloader itself.

The sources are available on SourceForge:

   http://opencbm.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opencbm/xu1541/

It is not very good documented, but it works.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
Spiro.

--