Re: [avr-gcc-list] Using __tmp_reg__ etc in assembly file

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Using __tmp_reg__ etc in assembly file
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:06:15 +0100

Colin Wall schrieb:
Hi List,

I must be missing something.

I can use symbols like __SREG__, __tmp_reg__ and __zero_reg__ in in-line asm (e.g. "push __tmp_reg__") but if I do the same in a pure assembly file, the compiler complains with "constant value required". How does one access these symbols in the assembly file and keep gas happy?

gcc gererates a header in easch assembly output that looks like

        .file   "fifo.c"
        .arch atmega168
__SREG__ = 0x3f
__SP_H__ = 0x3e
__SP_L__ = 0x3d
__tmp_reg__ = 0
__zero_reg__ = 1
        .global __do_copy_data
        .global __do_clear_bss
 ;  GNU C version 3.4.6 (avr)

Newer versions ov gcc even define more. So the __tmp_reg__ is not a symbol it's just a definiton. So

push __tmp_reg__

is equivalent to

push 0

and yes, there is no (redundant) register prefix "R" in this case.

I know I can always do my own #define, but it feels wrong to re-define something that already exists...

No, it does not exist in any header. It exists in gcc ;-)

Georg-Johann