Re: [avr-gcc-list] no avr/lib/avr25/attiny13a/Makefile.in

From: Ruud Vlaming
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] no avr/lib/avr25/attiny13a/Makefile.in
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:38:34 +0100

On Thursday 29 January 2009 05:54, you wrote:

> Yes, the version checking in the bootstrap script is
> quite stupid. Right now it looks for specific versions only.
> It would be ideal if we could look for a range.
>
> > The question is: is this really needed? Can the
> > script not simply issue a warning and go on?
>
> I'm certainly open to changing it. Can you provide a patch?

Yes, but first we have to decide, what should the patch do?
Imho that patch should not block execution at all, only warn
for a possile mismatch of version numbers.

The point is, until we have a firm spec how all applications
should emit their version nummers over de command line,
there will not be a stable solution for version number
comparison.

I have written a script which does a reasonable job for in most
situations for version numbers up to three level version numbers.
However, this is quite lengthy, and still is not bullitproof.
I think this is not adequate for this situation.

If you agree with me that a simple version comparison with a
two digit number, emmiting a warning only is sufficient in this
case i can make the patch.

Ruud