Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMEGA328P

From: darkschine
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMEGA328P
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:31:09 -0800 (PST)

darkschine wrote:

> Hi guys, I'm suddenly having problems programming my atmega328p's
> atmega8's are programming fine and have the same pinout which I believe
> rules out my connections
>
> I'm using UBUNTU, avr-gcc, USBasp, avrdude
>
> Also, a friend who I am working with is also having trouble programming
> these uC's at almost the exact same time.
>
> We have been programming these uC's successfully for a while so it seems
> strange for it to suddenly stop working for both of us at the same time.
>
> My logic probe picks up pulses on the MOSI, SCK, and RESET wires but no
> pulses on the MISO wire (which reflects the "no response" error recieved
>
> Can anyone offer any insight?
>

> Cheers

Just wanted to post that I have solved the problem thanks to the help of the
respondents.
The problem was indeed the fuses, possibly cause by attempting to program
with a bad GND reference. The problematic fuse was the reset fuse, as in,
the reset pin had been disabled. The problem was overcome by forcing a hard
reset by switching the power to the IC through a transistor triggered by the
reset pulse of the programmer. There were some timing issues using this
method, but 1/10 programs were successful. Only one successful program was
needed to return the fuses to the original state to resume normal operation
so correcting these timing issues were not explored.

I hope anyone experiencing similar problems has found this solution helpful.
I'm sure the suggestion of parallel programming may have worked, however the
method was not available to us at the time.