Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG

From: Stu Bell
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:07:15 -0700

On 3/3/2011 12:08 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
My apologies if this isn't the case, but it appears to me (being new)
that the avr-gcc landscape is a bit fractured:
1) avr-gcc source from the GCC project
2) Bingo600's scripts + patches from the avrfreaks forum
3) Omar's script + patches from the avrfreaks forum
4) Arduino IDE download
5) WinAVR toolchain (which I believe uses avr-gcc?)
6) AVR Studio (which also uses the avr-gcc tools?)
7) patches from atmel.no
(others?)
I recommend that you start with Bingo's scripts for Linux. That always gives you a stable base, usually with the latest release stuff (or at least latest stable). The script will bring in everything else you need.

Don't worry about Arduino unless you plan to support Arduino in particular. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, but they do have some libraries that can make things ... um... confusing.

As you might have guessed, WinAVR and AVR Studio are Windows packages, not applicable to Linux. WinAVR is the Windows packaging of the AVR-GCC stuff, along with the avr-libc library. (In addition, WinAVR is about to be deprecated in favor of a toolset integrated into AVR Studio. It is on it's last official release, at least officially.) AVR Studio is an IDE that requires WINE (at a minimum) to work properly on Linux. Reports I have seen are that some are able to get it to work, while others are not. YMMV. Most Linux-ites use Eclipse or other favorite editor/IDE.

Best of luck!

Stu Bell