[avr-gcc-list] Re: crosstool-NG

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:31:46 +0100

On 04/03/2011 06:20, Trevor Woerner wrote:
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Omar Choudary<address@hidden>  wrote:
Trevor, your idea seems nice, although I would be even more
enthusiastic to put all the patches into the mainstream gcc and then
just do a normal cross-build for the tools.

Yes, ideally this would be the best solution.

However, given the fact the patches exist but are still not yet merged
into the gcc project I simply assumed getting these patches accepted
by the gcc maintainers is not trivial.

It always takes time (and effort!) for patches to make their way into the main FSF gcc tree, and it takes time before these patches end up in released versions. gcc has a fair amount of bureaucracy, and the tree supports a vast number of ports, hosts, and combinations. Eric definitely does an excellent job here, as do others, but the "latest and greatest" avr-gcc will always have external patches. The same applies to many other gcc ports - if you want the latest ARM toolchain, you get it from CodeSourcery, not from the FSF.