avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] ATtiny25/45/85

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] ATtiny25/45/85
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:23:21 -0600

Patrick Blanchard wrote:
Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As David Carr wrote:

A while back there was a string of patches submitted by Anatoly to
add support for the Tiny25/45/85 devices.  In fact this work is
listed in patch #4049.  Strangely though, I don't see any of it in
CVS.

Sure, nobody so far found the time to integrate them, and we (Anatoly
and me) then agreed that we'd rather first push the integration of the
new auto{conf,make} tool code, as this step was long overdue.
As the latter happened last week, I'm now ready to commit any of the
outstanding patches that are marked as `Ready for test' in the task
manager.  Among others, this will include the patches for the
ATtiny25/45/85, as well as ATmega329/3290/649/6490, and AT90PWM2/3.
After this, and perhaps applying some odd bugfix(es), I intend to
branch off avr-libc-1.4 as the new stable branch, and release 1.4.0 on
that branch.

As you know, I am new to the group and trying not to get in the way more than
anything.

However, on the matter of adding iotn25/45/85.h

Is this a process of transferring the datasheet register summary to a standard
header?

Why would you take the time to start with the makefile instead?

There are essentially four steps to include support for a new device in the toolchain. These can be done in any order:
- Add support in binutils (assembler, linker)
- Add support in GCC (compiler)
- Add support in avr-libc for building the start-up code
- Add the IO header files in avr-libc.

(And this is for *easy* additions to the toolchain device list, i.e. no need to change opcodes, pointer sizes, etc.)

If you look here:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/avr-libc/avr-libc/include/avr/>
You'll see that the header files for the tiny 25/45/85 are already in avr-libc's CVS repository.

I'll leave it to the reader to go confirm whether the other 3 steps have been done.

Eric