[avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:41:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:)As Brian Dean wrote:
:)
:)> > You call it, I'll commit it.
:)
:)> Let's go with -Wall for now.  We can always add -Werror later.
:)> Maybe Joerg will want to weigh in too.
:)
:)My EUR 0.02: at least the files for releases must not use -Werror.

Why "must not"?

What if someone tries to compile avrdude on a unported system and there are
warnings that they ignore during the build which lead to mysterious
failures? I'll admit that's stretching things a bit, but with -Werror they
may be more likely to make a bug report for something we missed. If they get
a failed build and don't report it because they feel the program is crap
since it won't build, that doesn't help anyone. Besides, most people are
probably going to use Eric's WinAVR, the ports, or the RPMs anyways. And
those that do compile from source, in most cases, will be able to either fix
it or turn off the -Werror.

Alternatively, it would be easy to add AVRDUDE_DEV_WERROR (or some env var)
to the Makefile.am such that a developer could just set it to -Werror and
export it for eternity. Then avrdude would always built with -Werror for the
that developer.

In the end, if the concensus is for no -Werror, that's fine with me. My
problem is that if I have to think about turning it on, I'll forget and Eric
(or someone else) will have to fix the warnings I introduce. ;-)

Ted Roth