[avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:47:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:06:30AM -0600, E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > I'm also up for adding more -W flags, a la Joerg's description.
> > Personally I like -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes and I'm
> > sure there are others as well.
>
> I tend to mis-match printf format strings and arguments so I like the
> -Wformat warning.  Is that enabled with -Wall?  If not, I wouldn't
> mind seeing that added as well.

Pretty sure that's covered. Check the manual for your version of gcc.
Here's what the 3.3.1 manual has to saw:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.1/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning%20Options

If we want to enable more than what -Wall gives, the infrastructure is
in place now and it should be trivial.

I'll add a hook to allow -Werror only if an env var is set. Then the
default will be without, but those that want it (like myself) can
enable it manually. I'll probably make the env var such that you can
use it to add any extra CFLAGS to avrdude_CFLAGS. Then it will be
possible to tweak the CFLAGS without having to reconfigure.

Ted Roth