RE: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude

From: idefixx
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:36:50 +1000

> What is the spec of your PC and what processor is it?
I'm using an Intel Celeron 500MHz processor, 256MB RAM with Windows XP (Service
Pack 1)

> However aren't the Megas page programmed and the 8535 individual byte
> programmed.
That's correct!

Now I've used AVRdude 4.0.0 instead of AVRdude 4.2.0 to program the AT90S8535
flash memory with 8192 bytes and set the write delays in the avrdude.conf file
to the same values (as given in the datasheet: min: 4000 , max: 9000):

Using parallel programming dongle Dontronics DT006:
Flash write time now: 138 sec

Using STK500 board:
Flash write time again: 113sec
And again, for writing 40% of the memory (~3200 bytes of 8192 bytes) the STK500
uses less than 15 sec and the writing process gets slower and slower the more
of the memory is written.

Therefore the reason for the low speed can't be the real hardware clock.

And here the exact programming times for ATmega163 (16384 bytes) using AVRdude
4.2.0:
Using parallel programming dongle Dontronics DT006:
Flash write time: 9,37 sec
Using STK500 board:
Flash write time: 8,37sec

Regards.